Salted Nutella Tarts

As usual I checked out a few recipes then adapted it to suit my own taste, most of the recipes called for a sweet shortcrust pastry, but I thought the filling would be sweet enough so I just used a frozen normal shortcrust pasty sheets and I am glad I did. My assumption was right these are rich, and very sweet and I added a little salt, not bad either, I made three sizes and found a mini muffin pan did the best job  as a mouthful was just enough for me in one go, These are great if you have a sweet tooth and I am pretty sure the kids will gobble them up ..
so here we go
What you need:
1 packet frozen shortcrust pastry sheets
For the filling: 2 Tablespoons.cornstarch (cornflour) 2 cups heavy cream ( double cream) 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1/8 teaspoon salt Toasted hazelnuts for garnish ( I used melted white chocolate )
3/4 of a cup of Nutella,( I used Nutino) same thing just made in Italy
1/2 teaspoon of salt
What to do:
make the pastry cases, cut them out with a cookie cutter and gently push into a lightly greased muffin tin or cup cake pan, prick the bottoms and bake till cooked and golden brown on 250 fan forced they take about 8-10 mins,remove and let cool on a rack.
Filling:
To make the filling, whisk cornstarch into 1/4 cup cream in a bowl.
Combine the remaining 1-3/4 cups cream, Nutella, vanilla and salt in a saucepan.
Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
Once boiling, stir until thickened, about 1 minute.
Pour into the crust and smooth the top
Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Either add toasted hazelnuts or melted chocolate
To seed the chocolate, place 2/3s of the chocolate bits in a bowl over boiling water ( make sure the bowl is not touching the water), whisk until melted, turn off the heat and add the remaining 1/3 chocolate bits whisk until melted, this will give you a lovely glossy chocolate, then you can either cover the whole tart or drizzle in swirls.  enjoy
NOTES:
If you really want a sweet shortcrust pastry this is fairly fool proof.
What you need:
For The Crust- 12 T. unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks) 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to do:
Blend butter mixture into flour with a rubber spatula.  Press dough into an ungreased 10″ tart pan with removable bottom.  Freeze crust for 15 minutes then bake 25-30 minutes.
Salted Nutella Tarts

Comments