Easy Thai Red Curry

Ok ! everyone knows how addicted I am to Thai Red Curry whether it is beef or chicken and I already have a couple of recipes on my blog for it.. I make it a lot and it is always a little different depending what I have in the pantry and yes I prefer to make my paste from scratch but that isn't always possible, so then I cheat and have to buy the red curry paste. I also do not live in a big city like sydney where I could nick down to the local Asian stores to buy the best ready made paste. my choices  of stores are Coles, Woolies  (40kms away) and Aldi and in saying that I have tried just about every red curry paste I could get my hands on...What's my verdict?. Most are pretty ordinary to say the least especially when your used to the real thing .. But there is one that I keep going back for and always buy 1/2 a dozen jars when I am in the store . It is ALDI'S Thai red curry paste..It is pretty darn good. This is how I made it last night, like I said I always do it different and you can vary it as to which veges you use. but this is my favorite .. and is all you need is a wok . to easy !  Kaffir Lime leaves make this dish, sadly I don't have access to them and can hardly ever find them in the store but if you can add them for sure!

I went a little overboard with this but I like it the next day heated up . this batch will easily feed 6-8 people.. though you may need more rice.

Prep time took me about 20 mins. cooking time took around  20 mins as well.

My Tip: when I cook with a wok I like my ingredients prepped and on the bench so I just go along and add the bowls, the carrots in one, beans in another etc etc. It is a little bit extra mess but worth it when your cooking quickly over a high heat. 

Everyone prefers yellow rice in my house. simply add a teaspoon of  "TURMERIC" to the rice whilst cooking.

What you need:

Sesame oil
1 and 1/2 jars of Aldi Thai red curry paste
2 chicken breasts, sliced 3mm thick..( I like to fillet slice mine on an angle)
1x tin of bamboo shoots, drained and washed
1x medium carrot, cut into thin julienne strips
Frozen string beans ( how ever many you like) roughly a small bowl full, I don't measure them sorry
1/2 a large capsicum, cut into strips
Fish sauce 1 to 2 tablespoons
1x chicken stock cube dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of water
Lime Juice roughly 3-4 tablespoons
1x can of coconut milk
1/2 can of coconut cream
Coriander  ( a good handful chopped)
2 Extra chillies deseeded and sliced into really thin strips (optional)
Boiled rice

What to do:

1. Heat the wok and add a tiny bit of sesame oil, throw ( well not literally) the chicken pieces in until just cooked then remove and set aside.
2.Add the carrots to the wok and cook for a minute or two add a little of the stock ( this will help soften them quicker), add the capsicum adding a little more stock if needed, add the bamboo shoots and beans, when the veges are cooked remove from wok and set aside.
3. Add all the red curry paste and chillies to the wok and cook off  for a few minutes.
4. Add the chicken back to the wok and coat well, then add the veges back in.
5. Add the stock and fish sauce, lemon juice and half the coriander, stir let this reduce a bit
6. Add the coconut milk, mix well and simmer and reduce for about 8-12 minutes, do the taste test. If you have added to much fish sauce just add more lime juice to balance it out or vice versa...
7.Add the coconut cream cook for a few minutes, serve with boiled rice.

Add caption




 



Comments