Corned Beef & Cheesy Vegetable Bake

This is just one of those homemade comfort meals that you have during the week. Nothing fancy though most of us grew up having this as a staple food. I love homemade corned beef. and prefer it over any store bought deli stuff, it is really easy to make and never goes to waste, because it is perfect the next day on sandwiches or with salads. The meat is normally served hot with a white sauce which is pretty bland though. When I told my friend this is what we were having for dinner. "Yuk" was the reply I got. as they didn't like white sauce either BUT they do like my cheese sauce that I use in my lasagnes, so a quick vegetable bake was what I did. My attitude was like it or lump it haha. Well they ate it and said it was nice, me I loved it.  I did do a boo boo though and put cloves in the water thinking they were peppercorns haha. Yes I am normal I stuff up, it didn't matter though  and the meat turned out perfect and I cheated with the vegetable bake too. Once the meat was cooked I threw the vege bake together and presto I was done in about 40mins..

What you need:

 For the Meat:
 Ok so you need to change the water half way through cooking so only use half the ingredients for the first pot of brine and the rest for the second pot
A nice slab of corned beef
A big pot
6 bay leaves
2 cup of brown vinegar
2 heaped tablespoons of brown sugar
2 heaped tablespoon of sea salt
12-20 peppercorns
5-6 whole cloves
2 onion chopped
2 carrot chopped
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
What to do:
1. Fill pot to 3/4 full and place on stove to bring to the boil, add the ingredients
2. Wash meat under a cold tap... ( I always wash my meat  long story but that is just what I do ) and place in pot. ensuring the meat is covered, once it has come to the boil turn the stove down and let it simmer for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
This is when I change the water some people don't again this is just what I do 
3. remove meat from pot and tip out the water and start again making another pot of the brine. Place meat in, bring to the boil quickly and again turn it down to a simmer for another 1 1/2 hours. ( roughly).
4. turn off and let it cool in the brine.

 Quick Cheesy Vegetable bake

 Frozen veges
2 potatoes
1. Cook the potatoes in a glass casserole dish with the lid on in the microwave until just tender, drain
2. do the same with the frozen veges, then place them back in the casserole dish and make the cheese sauce

Cheese sauce:

1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour
1/2 and onion chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
1 packed cup of grated tasty or vintage cheese
About a cup of skim milk  ( give or take)
1. In a saucepan put  in the butter and onion you only want to sweat the onion off not brown it. add flour and cook for about a minute on a low heat.
2. Gradually add milk a bit at a time whisking well  when you have a nice lump free consistency ( like pancake batter) add the grated cheese and whisk until melted.
3. pour over the veges and bake until top is golden brown. 185 fan forced for about 20 to 30 mins
Corned Beef & Cheesy Vegetable Bake







Comments