LOWER carb Multigrain bread (bread machine)

 Ok So I have gone all sugar free and low carb in the weeks since my Pre-diabetic scare and have turned that around in a month and happy to say my sugar levels are back to normal. I have been really strict on myself and have rigidly stuck to my new eating plan.. But the one thing I miss at times is a nice bread I have been buying the Baker's delight cobb loaf  promoted as their healthiest loaf but at $6.80 a pop I thought that a little bit rich and seeing though I have a bread machine sitting there doing nothing I decided to make my own. I haven't used it in 10 years though, I used to make a lot of bread  and I made it for everyone I knew.
SO off I go on the hunt for low carb bread ideas,  yep I found plenty of recipes some looked really yummo . But I live in a fairly small town and getting the ingredients for the low carb breads was not only a challenge but super costly by the time I had worked out some recipes a small loaf was going to cost $12.50.. and Almond flour well I just couldn't get that at all. I could get it online and delivered $77. for 4kgs and around $20 for the delivery. Hell I was beginning to think I should forget the whole bread idea after all. I really do enjoy making it though and the house smells so good whilst it is baking I had to improvise.
 So I got my bulk 5kg multigrain flour from Woolies for $12 and as many other assorted lo carb flours I could find and of course paid a small fortune for the tiny 500g bags as they don't sell them in bulk and had to try and adapt the recipe in my bread machine book to substitute the flours and try and make it lower carb.
This is the first loaf I have done and I was pretty happy with it It is light and fluffy with a crunchy crust and packed full of seeds and grains.
I am NOT saying this is low carb or no carb, but it is LOWER than your average multigrain bread  and a good option if you are a pre-diabetic, have changed your diet, are exercising and have your blood sugars back to almost normal.. just don't go eating the whole loaf.. I don't eat bread everyday either. but I do allow myself a couple slices say every 3 days. OR 1 slice for 2 days in a row, the 3rd day bread free..
Bread Machine used: Breville Baker's Oven

makes a 750 g loaf 

Place ingredients into the bread machine tin in the order that they are written.

 Luke warm water 310mls
 Light olive oil 2 tablespoons
 Salt 1 1/2 teaspoons
 Lo GI Sugar 2 tablespoons (or artificial sweetner)
 Laucke Multigrain pre-mix bread machine flour  2 cups
( you can use any bread machine wholemeal  pre-mix
Almond meal 1/2 cup 
Coconut flour 1/4 cup 
Bran 1/4 cup
Bread improver 1 teaspoon
Skim milk powder 1 1/2 tablespoons 
Sesame seeds 2 1/2 tablespoons 
Caraway seeds 2 tablespoons 
TandacoYeast 1 sachet

Cook Setting is : Wholewheat: b-medium crust
LINK for pre-mixes:http://www.laucke.com.au/Catalog/breadmixes


Comments