Oat Base Cacao Swirl Cheesecake

OK .. well I am still on track doing the low carb and sugar free thing... but I have been hanging out for a cheesecake so I came up with this recipe after some thought.. and it turned out delicious. Honey is what I use to sweeten my cooking, straight from the hive. Artificial sweeteners are a no go for me personally the word artificial is enough to make me run a mile and as much as I am told Stevia is a plant it still goes through a processing and the taste just puts me off as does the cost of it.. . Honey is food of the Gods and as natural as you can get plus I am lucky enough to live in an area where there is plenty of  honey producers.. This recipe is great for diabetics, pre-diabetics.
As a pre-diabetic that turned those results upside down within 2 months. I read a lot of stuff and the diets people were on HFLC, the ADA diet recommended by most doctors and nutritionists. and I found something wrong with all of them especially the HFLC diet... I like to think of my new eating plan as SCSF ( slow carb, sugar free) excluding natural sugars like in fruit and honey.. and it is working for me .. better choices, better food, and a balanced lifestyle of food and exercise .. this is a sustainable eating plan and healthy. it is all about balance and portion size .. well enough of me babbling on  lets get on with the guilt free cheesecake. though you may feel guilty if you eat the lot ..
What you need:
A springform cake tin lined with baking paper on the bottom and sides lightly sprayed
Base;
2 1/2 cups of  natural rolled oats ( uncle toby's traditional)
1/2 cup of almond meal
100g of  unsalted butter (chilled and cut into cubes)
2 tablespoon honey
 Filling;
500g Philadelphia cream cheese ( room temp)
1x small carton  thickened cream
3 teaspoons of gelatin
2 tablespoons of boiling water
1-2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Cacao chocolate bits ( you can use dark chocolate or bits ) about a handful
To Make The Base
1. In  a large bowl place all the base ingredients and rub oats with the butter until  it has melted through and looks like a slightly crumbly dough ball.
2. spread mixture over the lined pan and use a glass to compress and spread evenly and up the sides a little bit. Bake for about 10 minutes at 185 fan forced or until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
To Make The Filling 
1. Place cream cheese, vanilla paste, honey into a large bowl and with an electric beater beat untill smooth and creamy.
2. In a separate bowl whip the cream until it is nice and thick forming soft peaks.
3. Place the boiling water in a small bowl sprinkle the gelatin over it  and whisk until dissolved .( Gelatin in not my friend I always have trouble with it so I use a really tiny whisk to mix and add a little more water to it if needed)
4.Slowly pour the gelatin into the cream cheese mixture while you are beating it with an electric mixer until well combined.
5. Fold the cream through the cream cheese mixture in to batches
6. Pour onto cooled base and spread out evenly
7. Place chocolate bit in a bowl over boiling water ( make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl) and melt the chocolate, then just using a spoon plop dobs of chocolate on the cheesecake and using a wooden skewer swirl the chocolate through the cheesecake.
8. Cover and place in the fridge to set. I like to put mine straight into the freezer to set and partly freeze before removing it from the tin and onto a serving plate to decorate with strawberries and blueberries.
ENJOY! this guilt free, sugar free, preservative free, low carb cheesecake
Oat Base Cacao Swirl Cheesecake

Oat Base Cacao Swirl Cheesecake



Comments

  1. Might even want to make it healthier by substituting reduced fat, low fat or no fat cream cheese and half and half instead of the cream. The gelatin will keep it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for your comment. Usually low fat products have more sugar in them than the normal product as is the case with most low fat products they need to replace the fat with something and that something is sugar. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does and as I am all about cutting out the sugar I have to weigh up which is better and the whole products win hands down over any low fat products. "Low Fat" is as big a scam as bottled water.. but thanks cheers !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment