Puff Pastry Vanilla Slices & Passionfruit Icing

Wow I am 54 years old and have never made Vanilla Slices, well I guess that is because I was never a big cake eater or sweets person except for chocolate and cheesecake so today I thought I would have a crack at it..Now all would of probably gone a little more smoothly if I had a proper oven but I only have a round benchtop oven. First problem!..Trying to put a square peg in a round hole so to speak. Cooking the puff pastry sheets the recipe called for 2 sheets and I ended up having to use 4 and wasting almost half of that trying to cut a nice fit for my tray..Finally I managed it.. Problem number 2 !.. I just wasn't sure if the custard would set, it looked good in the saucepan. anyway just to be on the safe side I added a tiny bit of cornflour to be sure, sweet. Problem number 3 ! and I wasn't thinking I was just following the recipe I had found online but didn't read it all and I stuffed the icing I mean come on now how can you stuff up icing haha. but I did not able to just chuck it because I had no more passionfruit pulp I went into salvage mode and  manage to salvage it. If I had to make this again I wouldn't do it with puff pastry it just isn't firm enough Lattice biscuits are the go I think  and it would be easier to slice as well. Other than my disaster little session they didn't turn out half bad. they don't look great. but edible for sure. So here is the recipe.

What you need:

2 sheets puff pastry, ( or Lattice biscuits)
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups cream
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablesppon of butter ( not margarine)
1 teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little of the milk

Icing 

2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pulp of 2 passiofruits
A little hot water hot water

 What to Do:

1. Line tray ( 22 cm square tin) with baking  paper and make sure it overhangs on the side, this just makes it easier to lift  it out to slice... (or place a row of lattice biscuits if you prefer)
2.. Place puff pastry on lined oven tray. Prick with a fork and bake for 10-15 minutes at 220C.
3. Put sugar, custard powder and cream into a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until it starts to thicken.
4. Add milk ½ a cup at a time and whisk continuously until the custard is thick.
5. Add cornflour
6. Remove from heat and add the butter, this also gives the custard a nice gloss.
7. Let everything cool slightly.  Then layer pastry, custard, pastry then icing.
8. Icing: Place icing sugar, butter and vanilla in a bowl and add enough hot water to make a medium textured icing  and spread over the top.
9.Place in the fridge and let it set overnight for best result. enjoy!
Puff Pastry Vanilla Slices & Passionfruit Icing


Comments

Post a Comment