Mama's Loaded Potato Salad

 I love potato salad but I don't like boring potato salad. This is my recipe for the tastiest ever loaded potato salad  I know you will love it. I choose desiree potatoes the ones with the red skin because red potatoes have fewer calories and carbs! The potato’s nutrients are concentrated on its outer skin, so keep it on! It will make for a beautifully coloured salad!

I am not going to leave instructions on how to make a potato salad, I am sure everyone knows how  but I will leave you some handy tips to make sure yours turns out perfect. 

 One thing that will spoil your potato salad is overcooked boiled eggs, the yolks will have a black or greyish green ring around them, it is called a sulphur ring. not only will they look bad in the salad they won't taste great either. To avoid this boil your 5 -6 eggs for 13 minutes no longer then run under cold water immediately, peel them straight away and pop them in some cold water until ready to add to your salad.

The next trick to a perfect potato salad is of course the potato itself, and there is a fine line between ready and ready to mash. Make sure your pot of salted water is at the boil before adding the potatoes. I chop mine into small cubes  about 2cm roughly. Once they are in the boiling water keep your eye on them they won't take long to cook. I tend not to walk away while they are boiling and poke with a skewer every minute or so once they hit the turning point from rock hard to soft I take them off, drain and run under cold water immediately to stop the cooking process.

Cook the bacon bits and let cool.. For the celery, pickle cucumbers and shallots dice these quite small. 

Make the dressing whisk all the dressing ingredients together then add salt, pepper shallots, celery and bacon bits to the dressing.

Chop the eggs and add it to the potatoes.. Lastly add the dressing to the potatoes and fold through, be gentle so as not to break up all the potato. 

I am sorry I don't have a picture of my perfectly loaded potato salad I had four containers of it and planned on taking a picture of it the next day when it was ready and properly chilled but it didn't last that long some hungry mouths hooked into it and next thing it was gone a picture of the ingredients is the best I can do for now until I make more.

 I will leave the quanties up to you because it depends how many you are making it for. The only thing I will say is make sure your dressing isn't to runny. 

 I use more sour cream than anything.  I never really measure anything I do. I guess after cooking for 60 years you just know by looking and tasting as you go, from memory these are the rough measurements ....Here is a list of the ingredients:  

Ingredients:

8-10 medium red potatoes cubed

5 chopped boiled eggs

8-10 diced small chilli marinated pickle cucumbers

2-3 grated radishes (optional)

1/2 to 1 cup of diced celery

1/2 to 1/ cup diced shallots

1 cup cookd diced bacon  ( crispy)

2-4 tablespoons mustard sauce

1-2 tablespoon white wine vinegar

1/4 cup thickened cream

3/4 cup mayo

1 cup sour cream

A good grounding of salt and pepper

 Note: If you want even more kick in your loaded potato salad try adding some grated radishes..  they taste great !




  

Comments

Post a Comment