Tomato, Passionfruit and Pineapple Jam

 When it comes to jam I am not a lover of the commercial stuff in the stores, I find them way to sweet. My tomato and Passionfruit jam has long been a favourite of mine and everyone else that I have given jars to.

I made a nice batch the other day and added some pineapple to it as well. you can make it with or without the pineapple, which is what I would normally do but I had an opened tin of pieces in the fridge so decided to use it up. I also like my jam a little stiffer, more like a consevre. 

This is an old recipe and I am sure you will love it. So when tomatoes are cheap be sure to make a couple batches.

This will make about 3 x 485g  jars, the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled

Ingredients;

12 really ripe tomatoes roughly chopped

1 tin passionfruit pulp ( or pulp of 10 fresh ones)

1 x green apple peeled, cored and roughly chopped

1 1/2 cups of pinapple pieces

4 cups of sugar 

juice of one lemon

1 packet of jam setta

What to do:

1) In a large pot place all the ingredients.

2) Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the mixture has at least halved and thickened.

3) Add 1/2 the packet of jam setta and bring back to the boil stirring the entire time until the jam thickens. about 5 minutes.

4) you can test it by putting a spoonful on a plate and putting it in the freezer for a couple minutes.

5) If it is still a little runny add the other half of the jam setta and repeat step three.

6) Allow to cool a little, before placing into sterilized jars.

And enjoy this age old favourite very morish jam



Comments