Spicy Borlotti Bean & Sundried Tomato Dip

 I really felt like some dip today when I went shopping the store brought ones looked so unappealing and expensive for the tiny amount you get. Oh I have had them before they are convenient and a lot say there is no preservatives but I swear I can taste them. My mouth always breaks out in mouth ulcers too as soon as I eat preservatives or anything artificial and so that puts me off buying them.
 I have heaps of dried beans in the cupboard though and summer is here so I thought I would whip myself up some homemade bean dip. By the time I had soaked and prepared the beans though my craving for dip was gone. 
There is enough dip here to keep the party going so prepare this a day ahead.   
What you need:
1/2 pkt of dried Borlotti beans
1/2 a small jar of Marinated Sundried or semi-dried tomatoes (keep the oil)
5 sprigs of basil or  a good handful of parsley ( I had neither when I made this today though)
1/3 cup of extra virgin  olive oil
Teaspoon of fresh minced chilli (optional)
3 cloves of fresh garlic
Juice of 2 lemons 
1 teaspoon of Bicarb soda
What to do:
1. Prepare the beans. Soak in a bowl of water for 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse well. In a pot of boiling water with one teaspoon of bicarb soda simmer the beans until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. 
2. Leaving the olive oil and lemon juice until last.
 Place all the other ingredients including the kept marinated oil into a processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
 NOTE: I add the olive oil and lemon juice in small batches to make sure I don't put to much in  doing a little taste test as I go
3 Bingo your done, place in a bowl decorate with a little basil or parsley and a little drizzle of olive oil and your good to go enjoy.
Spicy Borlotti Bean & Sundried Tomato Dip

 

Comments